I can't believe the holidays are almost here! It's finally the season of hot chocolate, cookies, and of course giving.
This year, why not try giving gifts that give back? When I was searching for gifts, I only had 2 criteria:
Does this product have a charitable purpose?
Would I buy it if it didn't?
If the answer to both these questions were yes, it went on the list!
Little did I know, there are some amazing companies out there doing really amazing things. I was hoping to find 15 gifts to share, but I got a little carried away and struggled to narrow down my list to 45!
Check out my first 15 products with a purpose that will make great gifts this holiday season- and be sure to check back later for Part II ($50-$100) and Part III ($100+).
01. Pinot for Paws WOOF Gift Box ($49, ONEHOPE Wine); 02. Brown Houndstooth Bow Tie ($37, Dibi); 03. Personalized Vintage Map ($30, Fresh Words Market); 04. The Winston Set ($25, Harry’s); Travel Case ($38, United by Blue); 06. Viral Socks ($25, Cole + Parker); 07. Cherry Wood Bowerys with Mic ($49.99, LSTN Headphones); 08. Stay Humble by Tyler Thorney ($39, Help Ink); 09. Smiles Pack ($35, Smiles for the People); 10. Primo Spreads ($14, Butter Shades); 11. Gypsy ($35, Charlie Dog & Friends); 12. Candy Cane Bundle ($30, Yoobi); 13. iPad Mini Case ($29, Stone + Cloth); 14. Incan Studs ($32, Matterial Fix); 15. Bixbee "Sparkalicious" Glitter "Butterflyer" Backpack ($34.99, Bixbee).
ABOUT THE PRODUCTS:
01. Pinot for Paws WOOF Gift Box ($49, ONEHOPE Wine) - Half of the profits from this gift box are donated to The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). If you aren't into dog treats with your wine, bring the California Brut Sparkling Wine ($18.99) to a party-also in a GLITTER edition ($59)- half of the profits from this wine is donated to World Food Program USA (WFP USA).
02. Brown Houndstooth Bow Tie ($37, Dibi) - Dibi seeks to strengthen education worldwide by providing school supplies to rural communities throughout the world. They also seek to strengthen style worldwide with their core Dibi brand, Dibi USA, and now Dibi Italy!
03. Personalized Vintage Map ($30, Fresh Words Market) - For every print sold, Fresh Words Market donates 10% of its proceeds to women and children focused initiatives around the world. But this is only one way they do good. Fresh Worlds Market also hosts limited time events during which they donate 100% of the proceeds from a specific design to a partnering organization. Some of the organizations they've helped are Future Fortified, Melel Xojobal, and PEACE.
04. The Winston Set ($25, Harry’s) - Harry’s gives 1% of their sales and at least 1% of their time to organizations that prepare people for personal and professional success. Founded by one of the co-founders of Warby Parker, so you know you'll have great service and good quality supporting their passion for giving back.
05. Travel Case ($38, United by Blue) - United by Blue rejects the precedent that monetarily-successful businesses and environmentally-friendly practices could not co-exist. More significantly, they believe that business has an opportunity to affect real and meaningful change.For every product sold, UBB removes one pound of trash from oceans and waterways through company organized and hosted cleanups
06. Viral Socks ($25, Cole + Parker) - Cole + Parker uses their sale proceeds to fund entrepreneurs in the developing world through their micro finance partner, Kiva. Once a loan is payed back, they use those funds to fund another entrepreneur! Which is how your 1 purchase could help many entrepreneurs. Ninety nine percent of all loans through Kiva are repaid and have helped sustain communities in a dignified way.
07. Cherry Wood Bowerys with Mic ($49.99, LSTN Headphones) - For every purchase, LSTN helps restore hearing to a person in need through the Starkey Hearing Foundation and spreads awareness for the global problem of hearing loss and hearing impairment. So far, LSTN has been able to help over 17,000 people around the world.
08. Stay Humble by Tyler Thorney ($39, Help Ink) - Help Ink is a collaborative project, using the sale of premium and exclusive art to help charities in an exciting way. For every $5 you spend, Help Ink gives $1 to the charity of your choice. Right now, you can choose from Children's Hunger Fund, Plant With Purpose, Thirst Relief International, Books For Africa, and MedWish.
09. Smiles Pack ($35, Smiles for the People) - Maybe toothbrushes aren't the most exciting gift… but they make great stocking stuffers! Smiles for the People are passionate about dental care. They collaborate with Giving Partners who are working to provide dental care, increase access to care, train care providers, or teach dental prevention. By donating the equivalent of one toothbrush for every one sold, Smiles for People helps improve the oral health of people who can’t access or afford the dentist.
10. Primo Spreads ($14, Butter Shades) - Butter Shades was born in Philadelphia out of a passion to create trendy and affordable sunglasses and and they are committed to give back to their community through partnerships with local nonprofits.
11. Gypsy ($35, Charlie Dog & Friends) - Gypsy is based on a real life Australlian Cattle Dog that was adopted form the Potsdam Humane Society at six months old. Typically, $5 of every “Gypsy” purchased is donated to Potsdam Humane Society in Potsdam, NY- but they recently donated the full price for a month to support a recent rescue crisis. Their core vision is to change how we see the American pet: the homeless shelter dog or cat, and the way we go about bringing our new family member home.
12. Candy Cane Bundle ($30, Yoobi) - For every Yoobi item you purchase, a Yoobi item will be donated to a classroom in need. Yoobi recently partnered with the Starlight Foundation to help distribute Yoobi items to children in hospital schools. These schools and the teachers that support these programs are responsible for keeping children affected by chronic illness on track and feeling positive about their future during their hospital stay. If you purchase this bundle, Yoobi will donate 8 items. It's that easy.
13. iPad Mini Case ($29, Stone + Cloth) - Stone + Cloth works to provide scholarships for students in need through The Knock Foundation, which is based in the foothills of Kilimanjaro. Globally, more than 130 million school-aged children do not have access to a basic education, and Stone + Cloth is committed to giving these children a hand up.
14. Incan Studs ($32, Matterial Fix) - For each purchase of these earrings, Matterial Fix gives $3.20 to Peruvian Hearts, a non-profit organization that is working to end poverty and gender inequality in Peru by educating adolescent girls. Matterial Fix also works with Freedom Firm, a non-profit organization that seeks to eliminate child prostitution in India.
15. Bixbee "Sparkalicious" Glitter "Butterflyer" Backpack ($34.99, Bixbee) - I can't imagine a cuter backpack to take back to school after the new year! PLUS, Bixbee will donate one backpack filled with supplies to a child in need with every backpack purchased. They recently donated 2,000 schoolbags to children affected Typhoon Haiyan in Cebu, Philippines. By purchasing a backpack, you could be responsible for smiles like these!
Feel good about the gifts you give (even those for yourself- hello glitter wine!) Happy holidays darlings!